If you get vehicle wraps for your car or truck, whether for advertising or you just want a basic color change, there are a few things you need to know — how to care for it, understanding what can damage it, and even what will preserve it.
Keep Your Vehicle Wraps Clean
The most important thing is to keep your vehicle wraps clean and cared for. Just like a regular paint job, vehicle wraps should be kept clean. Keep the car washed, and keep any form of dirt off. This would help a regular paint job last, it will do the same for your wrap.
Washing the vehicle once or twice per year is not going to cut it. Washing at least monthly is a great idea and will protect the wrap from damage.
When the vehicle is not kept clean, contaminants, smog, chemicals, road salt, morning dew, and all the things a vehicle is exposed to begin to attack the vinyl. Yes, the vinyl is built to withstand this, however it eventually takes its toll. Basic cleaning and caring is all that is needed.
5 More Things to Know About Vehicle Wraps
- Surface scratches will not destroy the vinyl. They may not look good, but they won’t ruin it.
- On the other hand, scratches that go below the surface need to be taken in for repair right away.
- A wrap that is peeling can be fixed without rewrapping. However, if road dirt gets behind it, through continued driving, it may need to be rewrapped. Plus, the road dirt could end up wearing a hole into the body of the car.
- Wrapped vehicles can go through the car wash. Going through the car wash will not destroy the wrap, but the brushes could do minor damage, such as surface scratches, just like a regular paint job. Wash by hand whenever possible.
- The longer damage to a wrap is not addressed, the more likely it will need to be replaced. Tend to damage right away.
If you can follow these basic steps of cleaning, care, and repair, you can keep your vehicle wrapped for several years. The typical lifespan of a vehicle wrap is 5 – 10 years, and many of our SIGNARAMA customers are able to easily reach the ten year mark just by following these steps.